Today I delivered Office 2010 upgrade training and during the session I was asked to demonstrate how to add the file name and path name of a Word document into a Header or Footer. Unfortunately this isn’t a simple “one-click” process so I thought it would be an excellent tutorial to share.
The following instruction works for Word 2010, Word 2013 and 2016.
- First place the insertion point at the place in the document where you want the file name inserted. If you would like it to be in the Header or Footer go to the Insert tab and then click Header or Footer > Edit Header or Edit Footer.
- On the Insert tab click Quick Parts.
- Click Field.
- From the Categories list select Document Information.
- From the Field names list select FileName.
- (Optional) If you would like to specify a format select one from the Format list.
- (Optional) If you would like to include the path name place a check mark in the Add path to filename box.
- Click OK.
I’ve created a video tutorial to show the steps required. In the tutorial I cover:
- A tip on how to quickly move into and out of the Header and Footer area without having to go to the Insert tab.
- Where to find the Field options.
- How to insert the Filename field and field options so that the file name and path name are inserted into the document.
- How to use the Shrink button to quickly drop the font size.