About this course
This lively half-day course is the first-step in becoming proficient in Excel. It concentrates on the core skills required to ensure you can confidently create and make modifications to worksheets. Basic calculations using formulas are included. Follow along with the trainer as you become proficient at creating effective worksheets.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at people who will be creating or updating Excel worksheets in a business environment. This course is definitely for you if …
- You are new to Excel
- You make minor updates to existing files and would now like to learn how to create worksheets from scratch
- You haven’t used Excel for a while and would like a refresher course
Proficiency in using the Microsoft® Windows environment, a mouse and keyboard
This hands-on rapid course takes you through creating an expenses workbook.
You will learn how to layout the worksheet, add calculations, insert additional data, quickly apply formatting to give the worksheet a professional look, preview and print the worksheet.
By the end of this course you should be able to confidently:
- Move around the Excel screen
- Insert and edit data in a worksheet
- Create basic calculations
- Apply formatting to enhance the presentation of the data
- Set the page options to ensure the worksheet prints correctly
- Preview and print the worksheet
Need proof of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)? On completion of the session, by request, we will send you a “Certificate of Attendance” confirming your participation and the duration of the training session.
Follow on with our half-day course ‘Excel – A step up from Introduction’.
If you are looking for an introduction course that includes time to complete practical exercises please refer to our full day course Excel Essential Skills.
- Starting Excel and opening a workbook
- Working with the Excel Ribbon and tabs
- Working with sheet tabs – inserting and renaming
- Selecting cells and cell ranges
- Entering and deleting data
- Adjusting column width and row height
- Copying data using AutoFill
- Quick keys to move quickly around the worksheet and workbook
- Saving a workbook – Save vs Save As
- Creating a new workbook
- Closing a workbook
- Creating calculations – formulas
- Understanding why and when to include brackets
- Editing calculations
- Using the SUM function
- Calculating percentages and GST
Modifying the worksheet
- Making changes to the data
- Inserting, deleting and hiding rows and columns
- Moving and copying data
- Copying calculations using absolute $
Formatting the worksheet
- Adding colour and borders
- Applying currency, percentage and comma formats
- Changing the alignment of data
- How to remove formatting from cells
Selecting suitable Page Setup options
- Changing the page from portrait to landscape
- Selecting suitable margins
- Using the Scaling options
Printing in Excel
- Previewing the worksheet before printing
- Setting a print area
- Printing the worksheet(s)
Workshop delivery consists of 3 hours hands-on tuition. Please note the duration is set for a maximum of 12 people. Individual coaching can be customised to suit. Please contact us to discuss.
Please see Pricing and Booking details below.
Price and Booking details
We bring the training to you…
That’s right! We don’t run scheduled courses. We come to your place of work.
Avoid traffic and parking hassles and learn at work. And if you don’t have a laptop, we can lend you one.
Price: $250 + GST per person, with a minimum booking of two people.
Please contact us to make a booking or for pricing if you would like to run this course for a large group or as personal coaching.