About this course
This full-day beginner course has been designed as an introduction to creating Microsoft Excel worksheets. The aim is to ensure you gain a good grounding in all skills needed to create worksheets that are both professional in look and design. Basic calculations using formulas and functions are included.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at people who will be creating or updating Excel worksheets in a business environment. This course is definitely for you if …
- You are new to Excel and would like a beginner course
- You’re currently making minor updates to existing files and would now like to learn how to create worksheets from scratch
- It’s been a while since you used Excel and would now like a refresher course
As this is a beginner level course the only prerequisite is that the learner is proficient in using the Microsoft® Windows environment, a mouse and keyboard
This hands-on course takes learners through creating a travel expenses workbook.
You will learn how to layout the expense sheet, add calculations, insert additional data, quickly apply formatting to give the worksheet a professional look, copy the worksheet to another sheet tab, link data between the sheets, analyse a large list of data using sorting and filtering, preview and print the worksheet.
Additional exercises and practice files are supplied for use during the training and for use post-training, allowing you the opportunity to repeat the exercises again in your own time.
By the end of this course you should be able to confidently:
- Move around the Excel screen
- Insert and edit data in a worksheet
- Create basic calculations using formulas and functions
- Apply borders and colour to enhance the presentation of the data
- Set the page options to ensure the worksheet prints correctly
- Print the worksheet
- Sort and Filter large lists of data
Need proof of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)? On completion of the session, by request, we will send you a “Certificate of Attendance” confirming your participation and the duration of the training session.
Workshop delivery consists of 6 hours hands-on tuition. Please note the duration is set for a maximum of 12 people. Individual coaching can be customised to suit. Please contact us to discuss.
Price and Booking details
We bring the training to you. That’s right! We don’t run scheduled courses. We come onsite to your place of work on a day and time that works for you. Avoid traffic and parking hassles and learn at work. And if you don’t have a laptop, we can lend you one. Pricing is adjusted depending on the number of attendees. Minimum of 3, maximum of 12.
3 to 4 people – $350+GST per person
5 to 7 people – $325+GST per person
8 to 12 people – $295+GST per person
For 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 Coaching pricing and options please click here.
- Starting Excel and opening a workbook
- Working with the Excel Ribbon and tabs
- Working with sheet tabs – inserting and renaming
- Selecting cells and cell ranges
- Entering and deleting data
- Adjusting column width and row height
- Copying data using AutoFill and AutoComplete
- Quick keys to move quickly around the worksheet and workbook
- Spell Checking
- Saving a workbook (.xlsx files)
- Working with files in Compatibility Mode format
- Creating a new workbook
- Closing a workbook
- Creating formulas
- Understanding why and when to include brackets
- Editing calculations
- Using the SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN and COUNT functions
Modifying the worksheet
- Making changes to the data
- Inserting, deleting and hiding rows and columns
- Moving and copying data
- Creating Links between worksheets
- Moving and copying worksheets
- Copying calculations
Formatting the worksheet
- Adding colour and borders
- Applying currency, percentage and comma formats
- Changing the alignment of data
- How to remove formatting from cells
Selecting suitable Page Setup options
- Changing the page from portrait to landscape
- Selecting suitable margins
- Using the Scaling options
Printing in Excel
- Previewing the worksheet before printing
- Setting a print area and print titles
- Printing the worksheet(s)
Sort and Filter data
- Sort data alphabetically and numerically
- Apply filters to only display data that meets a set criteria
- Copy, delete and format filtered data
Already applying their knowledge
Just want to say a big thank you for the day, the delivery and the content. The referral forms all speak for themselves and the team are already applying their knowledge.
Penny Smith, Village Manager Hillsborough Heights – Metlifecare
This is an invaluable course for anyone new to Excel and I highly recommend Sharyn.
Candice Murphy, Home Direct
Awesome teacher. I knew the basics of Excel but learnt a lot more today. Well worth doing. Manual is great. Glad we can keep this to go back to.
Trudy Piercy, after attending an Essential Skills session