About this introduction course
This lively half-day introduction course is the first-step in becoming proficient in Excel. It concentrates on the core skills required to ensure you can confidently create and make modifications to worksheets. Basic calculations using formulas are included. Follow along with the trainer as you become proficient at creating effective worksheets.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at people who will be creating or updating Excel worksheets in a business environment. This course is definitely for you if …
- You are new to Excel and need an introduction to get started
- You’re currently making minor updates to existing files and would now like to learn how to create worksheets from scratch
- It’s been a while since you used Excel and would benefit from a refresher course
As this is an introduction level course the only prerequisite is proficiency in using the Microsoft® Windows environment, a mouse and keyboard
This hands-on rapid introduction course takes you through creating an expenses workbook.
You will learn how to layout the worksheet, add calculations, insert additional data, quickly apply formatting to give the worksheet a professional look, preview and print the worksheet.
By the end of this course you should be able to confidently:
- Move around the Excel screen
- Insert and edit data in a worksheet
- Create basic calculations
- Apply formatting to enhance the presentation of the data
- Set the page options to ensure the worksheet prints correctly
- Preview and print the worksheet
Need proof of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)? On completion of the session, by request, we will send you a “Certificate of Attendance” confirming your participation and the duration of the training session.
Follow on with our half-day course ‘Excel – A step up from Introduction’.
If you are looking for an introduction course that includes time to complete practical exercises please refer to our full day course Excel Essential Skills.
Workshop delivery consists of 3 hours hands-on tuition. Please note the duration is set for a maximum of 12 people. Individual coaching can be customised to suit. Please contact us to discuss.
Price and Booking details
We bring the training to you. That’s right! We don’t run scheduled courses. We come to your place of work on a day and time that works for you. Avoid traffic and parking hassles and learn at work. And if you don’t have a laptop, we can lend you one. Pricing is adjusted depending on the number of attendees. Minimum of 3, maximum of 12.
3 to 4 people – $275+GST per person
5 to 7 people – $250+GST per person
8 to 12 people – $210+GST per person
- Starting Excel and opening a workbook
- Working with the Excel Ribbon and tabs
- Working with sheet tabs – inserting and renaming
- Selecting cells and cell ranges
- Entering and deleting data
- Adjusting column width and row height
- Copying data using AutoFill
- Quick keys to move quickly around the worksheet and workbook
- Saving a workbook – Save vs Save As
- Creating a new workbook
- Closing a workbook
- Creating calculations – formulas
- Understanding why and when to include brackets
- Editing calculations
- Using the SUM function
- Calculating percentages and GST
Modifying the worksheet
- Making changes to the data
- Inserting, deleting and hiding rows and columns
- Moving and copying data
- Copying calculations using absolute $
Formatting the worksheet
- Adding colour and borders
- Applying currency, percentage and comma formats
- Changing the alignment of data
- How to remove formatting from cells
Selecting suitable Page Setup options
- Changing the page from portrait to landscape
- Selecting suitable margins
- Using the Scaling options
Printing in Excel
- Previewing the worksheet before printing
- Setting a print area
- Printing the worksheet(s)
Very relevant and understandable
“Thanks so much for coming out and helping us with our understanding of Excel, we really enjoyed the course! You have a great teaching style Sharyn, you make the course very relevant and understandable for us, so thanks heaps for that!”
Jeremy Brier, SteelServ Limited, NZ Steel Mill, Glenbrook, Waiuku
Clear, concise and practical
Really enjoyed the course – thank you – you are such a good teacher and are very clear, concise and practical. A lot of shortcuts that I didn’t know about too so was very helpful.
Vickie Furniss, Tropex Exports Limited