About this course
This lively half-day course is the second-step in becoming proficient in Excel. It focuses on teaching the smart ways to quickly update, analyse and format Excel data. Follow along with the trainer as you become proficient at creating effective worksheets.
This is the next step on from our half-day course ‘Excel – Getting Started’.
This course is suitable for anyone who is already knowledgeable in the basics of using Excel and is ready for the next step to becoming a proficient user of Excel. This course is definitely for you if …
- You want to be confident in writing complex calculations
- You’re ready to learn the most popular Excel functions and features that will allow you to understand how others have created calculations in shared workbooks
- Using Excel functions to save time sorting, filtering and analysing data is something you would like to be confident in
As this is an introduction to intermediate course the prerequisite is proficiency in creating, formatting, editing, saving and printing an Excel workbook. This includes the ability to create basic formulas and use the SUM function.
This hands-on rapid course takes you through the most popular time-saving features of Excel. Practice files are supplied for use during the training and for use post-training, allowing you the opportunity to repeat the exercises again in your own time.
By the end of this course you should be able to confidently:
- Understand how to fix complex formulas when you don’t receive the result you had expected
- Save time by updating data using grouping and linking between worksheets and workbooks
- Sort and Filter large lists of data using advanced sorting features
- Save time cross-referencing and fixing errors using Logical Functions
Follow on with our half-day course ‘Excel – Combining, Analysing and Reporting’.
If you are looking for an intermediate course that includes time to complete practical exercises please refer to our full day course Excel Time Saving Features.
Need proof of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)? On completion of the session, by request, we will send you a “Certificate of Attendance” confirming your participation and the duration of the training session.
Workshop delivery consists of 3 hours hands-on tuition. Please note the duration is set for a maximum of 12 people. Individual coaching can be customised to suit. Please contact us to discuss.
Price and Booking details
We bring the training to you. That’s right! We don’t run scheduled courses. We come to your place of work on a day and time that works for you. Avoid traffic and parking hassles and learn at work. And if you don’t have a laptop, we can lend you one. Pricing is adjusted depending on the number of attendees. Minimum of 3, maximum of 12.
3 to 4 people – $275+GST per person
5 to 7 people – $250+GST per person
8 to 12 people – $210+GST per person
For 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 Coaching pricing and options please click here.
Dealing with unexpected results
- Quick refresher on creating calculations in Excel
- Understand why calculations can be displayed incorrectly.
- Following the BEDMAS rule.
- Learn quick tips for copying calculations; absolute addressing and named ranges
Working with data lists
- Freezing titles so that they are still seen while scrolling
- Prepare the data for sorting and filtering
- Sort lists of data
- Apply sorting levels (a sort within a sort)
- Instantly insert sub-total and total rows to a table of sorted data
- AutoFilter – using criteria to filter lists
- Filtering tricks that save you time
Time saving functions
- Learn how to insert, write and get help on functions in Excel
- Find averages, highest value and lowest value using AVERAGE, MAX and MIN
- Count how many items are in a range using the COUNT family of functions
- Perform calculations only if a set criteria is met using the IF function
- Total a range, but only include in the total values that met a set criteria using SUMIF
- Work with ranges that contain errors using the IFERROR function
Working with multiple worksheets/workbooks
- Saving and formatting multiple worksheets at once
- Copy and move data between worksheets and workbooks
- Link information held in one worksheet to another
- Link information between workbooks
I would highly recommend. Sharyn catered our learning to our specific needs. Helpful in teaching us ways to cut out hours/shortening time.
Terri Simpkins – Higgins, Roading and Infrastructure Specialists